Sunday, May 8, 2011

Momma Day Granola



Happy Mothers Day to Mother Earth and all the amazing Mothers, Grandmothers, and Godmothers!  I made this granola today for my own fabulous Mother.  She's working a 12 hour shift today so I delivered it to her along with some other goodies.  I found this recipe in the book Lucid Food by Louisa Shafia.  She calls it "The Best Granola Ever" but I like my name better.  Next time I might substitute dried figs or cranberries for the apricots.  If any of these ingredients are unfamiliar to you, like raw nuts or cacao nibs, take a trip to your nearest health food store!

Momma Day Granola

    2 cups raw nuts, coarsely chopped                6 tablespoons maple syrup                      
    2 cups rolled oats(not quick)                         5 tablespoons olive or canola oil
    1 tablespoon ground cinnamon                    1 1/2 cups dried apricots, coarsley chopped
   1/2 teaspoon allspice                                     1/2 cup raw, unsweetened coconut flakes
   1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg                         3 tablespoons cacao nibs
   Salt

Preheat oven to 250°F
   Combine the nuts, oats, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and a dash of salt in a large bowl and stir.  Add the maple syrup, 4 tablespoons of the oil, and the vanilla extract and stir.
    Spread the granola evenly on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.  Stir the granola well, rotate the pan, and bake for 15 minutes more.  At this point, the granola should be almost completely dry.  Add the apricots and the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the mixture, stir well, and return the pan to the oven for 5 minutes.  Add the coconut and bake for 2 minutes more.  Remove the pan from the oven and stir in the cacao nibs.
    Let the granola cool before serving.

Now I'm off the clean up the gigantic mess I made in my kitchen.  Enjoy the beautiful day!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment